Help is Here!
Democrats deliver - shots in arms, checks in hands.
- When President Biden took office, he promised the American people that help was on the way. Now, Biden and Democrats have delivered on that promise.
- Help is here. Biden and Democrats have delivered real, tangible results for the American people and their families, beginning with direct payments of up to $1400 to working people and resources to help manufacture and distribute vaccines.
- DIRECT PAYMENTS: This plan will get checks out the door, starting this month. 85% of American households will get direct payments of one thousand four hundred dollars per person.
- VACCINES: This plan provides funding for vaccine distribution, coronavirus testing, and contact tracing so we can get vaccines into the arms of more people and end this pandemic.
- In poll after poll, the vast majority of Americans support the American Rescue Plan. Despite that, Republican politicians voted in lockstep against it.
The American Rescue Plan is the most consequential piece of legislation for working families in modern American history. It is a historic response to the moment of crisis we face and will make a real difference in the lives of Americans by creating jobs, providing economic relief, and defeating this virus.
The American Rescue Plan: Impacts on Illinois
The Need for Action in Illinois
The pandemic and the associated economic crisis have had a severe impact on
Illinois. The need for action is clear:
• Since the pandemic began, more than 1.1 million people have been infected
with COVID-19 and more than 23,000 people have died.
• The unemployment rate is 8%, up from 3.6% before the pandemic.
• Since February 2020, more than 468,000 fewer people are employed.
• 860,000 adults – 11% of all adults in the state – report not having enough
food to eat. This includes 536,000 adults living with children, or 17% of all
adults living with children, who report that the children in their household do
not have enough to eat.
• An estimated 525,000 renters or 20% of renters are not caught up on rent.
• An estimated 3.1 million adults or 35% of all adults statewide report having
difficulty covering normal household expenses.
The Effect of the American Rescue Plan on Illinois
President Biden’s American Rescue Plan will provide Illinois with:
• $8.2 billion in state fiscal relief
• $5.2 billion in local fiscal relief
• More than $5.2 billion in relief for K-12 schools
• Economic impact payments of up to $1,400 per person (above the $600 per
person provided in December) for more than 7.5 million adults and 3 million
children. This is 85% of all adults in the state and 83% of all children in the
• Additional relief of up to $1,600 per child through the Child Tax Credit to
the families of 2.5 million children, lifting 153,000 children out of poverty
• Additional relief of up to nearly $1,000 through the Earned Income Tax
Credit to 620,000 childless workers, including many in frontline jobs
• Marketplace health insurance premiums that are $1,266 lower per month for
a 60-year old couple earning $75,000 per year
Our nation's founders recognized that without constant vigilance, it would be all too easy for those in power to pervert our democracy for their own ends. It is up to us to resist that perversion and to show the way toward "a more perfect union" as promised in the preamble to our Constitution.
The Democratic Party of McHenry County is dedicated to the task of making our democracy serve the people. It is in our own enlightened self-interest to promote greater participation in the political process and to encourage all voices to be heard. Our mission is to help elect Democrats to public office, especially at the local level.
If you want to make a difference, there's no better place to start than right here in McHenry County, Illinois. We invite you to join us.